What is financial aid?

Financial aid is money that the state and national government may provide students to help them in paying for their post secondary education.  Financial aid is different from scholarships.  Scholarship money is money that is given by private organizations.  Financial aid is money that is given by the government.

How do I get financial aid?

Students must apply for financial aid in order to receive any.  Students will not receive financial aid from the government automatically.  Students must fill out the FAFSA form in order to apply for financial aid.

Where do I get a FAFSA form?

Students complete the FAFSA form online by visiting the following site:

Mahomet-Seymour High School will be hosting a speaker from the Illinois Student Assistance Commission to present to parents and students on the financial aid process.  It is recommended that parents of college bound students attend this informational meeting.  The financial aid meeting will be held in September in the high school auditorium each year.  Students and parents will learn more about the financial aid process and how to apply at this financial aid presentation.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Students can not apply for financial aid until October 1st of their senior year.  Part of the FAFSA form requires that students put their tax information on the form. Students should try to complete the FAFSA form and turn it in as soon as possible. Most colleges will give additional "in-house" money to students who turn their forms in earliest. Students can however turn their FAFSA form in as late as the last day of their freshman year of college.  However, it is not recommend waiting to the last minute.

Students must apply each year for financial aid since the FAFSA form requires the current year's tax information and each year most people's taxes change a little.  While students are in college they can get a FAFSA form from their college's financial aid department.

We recommend that students copy these forms before they turn them in to make the process easier the following year.

Where can I get help?

  • Students can contact the financial aid office of the college they are going to in order to get more financial aid help.
  • Students can utilize the internet resources to get more in depth information on financial aid.
  • Students can call the Student Financial Aid Information Center Toll-Free number to get answers to their questions from 8 a.m. to midnight (Eastern Time).  Students can call seven days a week. 1-800-4FED-AID (1-800-433-3243)



This site is best viewed using the most recent version of Internet Explorer or Google Chrome
Unless noted otherwise, content is property of MSHS Guidance & Counseling | Do not duplicate without consent